Duke University – Durham, NC – 2015
- Ph.D. – Religion
- American Religion Track
- Dissertation: A Beautiful Noise: A History of Contemporary Worship Music in Modern America
Duke University – Durham, NC – 2015
- Certificate in College Teaching
Duke Divinity School – Durham, NC – 2008
- M.T.S. (Master of Theological Studies)
- Focus on Church History
Duke University – Durham, NC – 2005
- B.A. – History
- Double Major in History and Religion
Awards & Honors
2014: Duke University Dean’s Award for Excellence in Teaching
2013: Lousiville Institute Postdoctoral Fellowship (declined)
2012: Louisville Institute Dissertation Fellowship
2012: E. Bayard Halsted Scholarship
2012: Duke University Dissertation Research International Travel Award
2011-2012: Gurney Harris Kearns Summer Fellowship
2011: Graduate Student Instructor and Writing Tutor for Thompson Writing Program at Duke University
2008-2012: James B. Duke Fellowship for the Ph.D. track in Religion
2008: Graduated Magna Cum Laude from Duke Divinity School
2002: Inducted into the Honors Society Phi Eta Sigma
2001-2004: Dean’s List at Duke University: Fall 2001, Fall 2002, Spring 2003, Fall 2004
Teaching & Speaking Experience
Spring 2018: Instructor - Introduction to Christian Worship - Duke Divinity School
Spring 2018: Speaker/Songwriter - Christmas Songwriting Retreat - Calvin College
Spring 2018: Instructor - Songwriting in the Church - Trinity School for Ministry
Fall 2017: Instructor - American Christianity - Duke Divinity School
Summer 2017: Academic Consultant - Bifrost Arts Consultation on Worship & Vocation - New York City
Spring 2017: Intructor - Introduction to Church History - Duke Divinity School
- Responsible for designing course and syllabus, teaching weekly class, and grading papers and exams for the MACP program at Duke Divinity School.
Spring 2017: Instructor/Speaker - Songwriting in the Church - Trinity School for Ministry (Ambridge, PA)
- Provided workshops for a 3-day course on songwriting in the church for seminary students at Trinity School for Ministry.
Fall 2016: Lecturer - Introduction to American Christianity - Duke Divinity School
- Provided 3-hour introductory course for the Spiritual Leadership Institute at Duke Divinity School, sponsored by Volunteers of America.
Spring 2016: Speaker - Calvin Institute of Christian Worship Symposium - Calvin College (Grand Rapids, MI)
- Provided workshops on songwriting for the church, recording/producing music for the church, and pastoral considerations of selecting worship music.
Fall 2013: Co-Instructor for Duke Divinity School Course – American Christianity 56
- Responsible for co-designing course and syllabus, teaching weekly preceptorial, grading exams, and providing lectures
Spring 2012: Writing 20 Instructor – Sacred Rhythm: Religion & Popular Music
- Responsible for designing course and syllabus, teaching weekly class, grading papers and exams
Fall 2011: Lead Preceptor for Duke Divinity School Course – American Christianity 28
- Responsible for helping design course and syllabus, teaching weekly preceptorial, grading exams, and providing occasional lectures
Spring 2011: Writing Tutor for the Duke University Writing Studio
- Responsible for providing writing tutoring services to Duke Students and faculty
Fall 2009 – Fall 2012: Duke Divinity School Preceptor
- Responsible for teaching weekly preceptorial, grading of papers and final exam for American Christianity (AC 28), Church History: Reformation to the Present (CH 14), and Introduction to Christian Ethics (XE 33)
Summer 2009: Teaching Mentor – Duke Divinity School’s Duke Youth Academy
- Responsible for leading a two week, intensive theological curriculum with high school juniors and seniors
Publications & Papers
2017 (Forthcoming): “‘The Music that Just About Everyone Sings’: Hillsong in American Evangelical Media.” In You Call Me Out Upon the Waters: Critical Perspectives on the Hillsong Movement, edited by Tanya Riches and Tom Wagner. London: Palgrave MacMillan.
2016: “Contemporary Christian Music,” “Church Growth Movement,” “Christian Copyright Licensing, Int.,” “The Gospel Coalition” in Encyclopedia of Christianity in the United States, edited by Thomas Kurian and Mark Lamport. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.
2015: "Needles in a Hymnstack." Christianity Today, April 2015: 80-81.
2015: “Blessed to be a Blessing: Israel Houghton & the Prosperity Gospel in Contemporary Worship Music” In The Spirit of Praise: Music and Worship in Pentecostal-Charismatic Christianity, edited by Monique Ingalls and Amos Yong. University Park, PA: Pennsylvania State University Press.
2014: Kate Bowler and Wen Reagan. “Bigger, Better, Louder: The Prosperity Gospel’s Impact on Contemporary Christian Worship.” Religion and American Culture: A Journal of Interpretation. Vol 24, Issue 2, pp. 186-230.
2011: Paper at the American Academy of Religion Conference: “I Am a Friend of God: The Prosperity Gospel of Contemporary Worship Music Superstar Israel Houghton”
2011: Paper at Calvin College’s Festival of Faith & Music: “Old Words, New Tunes: Indelible Grace & the Rise of the Modern Hymn Movement”
2017 (Under Review): Khandelwal N, Hough CL, Downey L, Engelberg RA, Carson SS, White DB, Kahn JM, Jones DM, Key MD, Reagan W, Porter LS, Curtis JR, Cox CE (2017). Prevalence, risk-factors, and outcomes of financial stress in survivors of critical illness.
2017: Cox CE, Jones DM, Reagan W, Key MD, Chow V, McFarlin J, Casarett D, Creutzfeld CJ, Docherty SL. Palliative care planner (PCplanner): a pilot study to evaluate acceptability and usability of an electronic health records system-integrated, needs- targeted app platform (2017). Annals of American Thoracic Society.
2016: Greeson, Jeff M., Laura S. Porter, Derek M. Jones, Maren K. Olsen, Wen Reagan, Brenda Walton, Anna Ungar, Catherine L. Hough, and C. E. Cox. "Development Of A Novel, Scalable Digital Psychosocial Intervention Platform For Intensive Care Unit Survivors And Their Family Members." In C26. FAMILY CENTERED CRITICAL CARE WITHIN AND BEYOND THE ICU, pp. A4736-A4736. American Thoracic Society, 2016.
2016: Jones, Derek M., Wen Reagan, Haley Goucher, Stephanie Gundel, C. L. Hough, Jessica Mcfarlin, May Hua, Christopher E. Cox, and N. G. Wysham. "Attitudes Of Critical Care Clinicians Toward The Use Of Triggers For Intensive Care Unit-Based Palliative Care Consultation." In A14. ADVANCE CARE PLANNING AND PALLIATIVE CARE: PATIENTS TO POLICY, pp. A1013-A1013. American Thoracic Society, 2016.
Recent Work Experience
2017-Present: Adjunct Instructor of Church History - Duke Divinity School
2016-Present: Director of Worship - All Saints Church, Durham, NC
- Responsible for directing music and liturgies for worship services and mentoring and developing musicians in the church.
2014-Present: Clinical Research Coordinator, Tier III - Duke University School of Medicine
- Responsible for designing, implementing, and managing several federally funded clinical research studies carried out in the ICU setting at Duke Hospital.
2009-2014: Instructor and Preceptor – Duke Divinity School and Duke University
- Responsible for course design, grading student work, teaching weekly sessions, and managing teaching assistants
2005-2015: Music Director – Christ Community Church, Chapel Hill, NC
- Directed music and musicians for Sunday worship services
2007-2014: Founder/Owner – Kleio Design
- Provided graphic, web, logo, and brochure design for local clients in the Triangle area of NC
2016: "What Wondrous Love is This" and "Flee as a Bird" on Cardiphonia: Hollow Square Hymnal
2014: “All Praise to Thee, Eternal Lord” on Cardiphonia: Songs for the Incarnation
2014: Love & Lightning, Winter & Warm
2013: “He Has Come” on Cardiphonia: Canticles
2013: “He’s Opened the Gates (Psalm 118)” on Cardiphonia: Hallel Psalms
2012: “Now to the King Eternal” on Cardiphonia: Songs for Liturgy
2012: “Christ the Lord” on Cardiphonia: Hymns for the Ascension
2011: Pierce & Reagan: Epiphany
2011: “At the Lamb’s High Feast We Sing” on Cardiphonia: Songs for the Supper
2011: “Almighty Comforter” on Cardiphonia: Pentecost Songs
2006: Pierce & Reagan: Winter